Recorded September 23, 2022.
Hannah Spaul has been managing lands, including many wetlands, in Wisconsin with prescribed fire for more than 20 years for The Nature Conservancy. She is a founding member of the Wisconsin Prescribed Fire Council, a Co-PI on the Joint Fire Science Program Tallgrass Prairie and Oak Savana Fire Consortia, and an avid pyro-tourist (one who travels for fun to visit fire-dependent and fire-managed areas).
- Wisconsin Prescribed Fire Council
- Tallgrass Prairie & Oak Savanna Fire Consortia
- Wisconsin DNR RX fire reporting dashboard
- Wisconsin DNR fire resources page
- Restoring Fire to Wisconsin’s Native Landscapes TNC
- WI Fire Needs Assessment resources and maps
- Burning in Peatlands:
Can I use prescribed fire as a management tool in my wetland?
Wisconsin Tribes: Leading the way in protecting and restoring wetlands and watersheds
Many wetlands in Wisconsin burned frequently as part of the historical fire regime, often lit by the indigenous peoples of the area. Wisconsin Tribes are still working to protect and restore wetlands today.